ATLANTA — Jim Boeheim sat in the folding chair in the back corner of the visitor’s locker room, his right leg folded over his left and blankly examined the stat sheet in front of him.Everything had gone so wrong. On a night when his team had needed to be at its best, the Orange seemed further than it had all season from generating any half-court offense. Syracuse (15-7, 4-5 Atlantic Coast) lost, 55-51, to Georgia Tech (11-11, 4-5) on Wednesday night in a crushing blow to its postseason chances.Syracuse’s season is in critical condition.The way the Orange played in its GT loss combined with a lack of signature wins, a lack of road wins and an increasing lack of chances to earn either puts this team on the brink of missing the NCAA Tournament. Boeheim refuses to prognosticate on any season, which is fair enough, but his team now finds itself in a deep, deep hole without any margin for error.“Man, we’re not looking at it like that,” point guard Frank Howard said. “We’re competitors. This is what we come here for, for challenges like this. We want to prove ourselves.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“This is the ultimate test for us. We’ll be ready.”Consider the schedule.Syracuse probably needs to win four or five of its remaining nine games to make the NCAA Tournament. Kenpom.com gives the Orange a 50-50 shot or better in three of them, at home against Wake Forest and North Carolina State and on the road at Boston College.SU also needs to beat at least one of the six teams left on its schedule currently projected as “in” by Bracketville, the most accurate projection site in the past five years, because Syracuse has yet to beat a team in conference play that looks to be solidly in the NCAA Tournament. Bracketville has Syracuse listed in the “Next four out” category.Last year, the NCAA Tournament committee left out an 18-14 Syracuse team that upset three Top 10 teams down the stretch because it only mustered two road wins. This season, SU has two, but neither will impress the selection committee. Its only conference road victory came against Pittsburgh, the ACC’s worst team by far. Even that was a struggle; Syracuse didn’t pull away until late in the second half. This means the Orange needs to win at least one, though likely two, of its final four road games — Louisville, Miami, No. 4 Duke and Boston College — and the easiest target, BC, toppled then-No. 1 Duke on its home floor earlier this season.Yet no one in the locker room seems nervous. Especially not Tyus Battle.“We’ve got a tough Virginia team next, then we go to Louisville,” he said. “We’re going to get two really good wins.”Consider the offense.It encompasses three players who play almost every minute of every game. It relies on one-on-one dribble penetration. It operates without set plays — Boeheim said they wouldn’t make the shots off them if they got the looks anyway — and therefore it deploys a lot of high pick-and-rolls, which rarely results in a pass to the rolling big anyway.Syracuse, in conference play, has allowed totals of 51 and 55 and lost because offensive impotence overwhelmed elite defense. Boeheim called the GT loss a “classic example of that.” The reductive offense makes Syracuse predictable and allows opponents like Georgia Tech to shut off one aspect of the game and worry about little else.Yellow Jackets head coach Josh Pastner told his players Syracuse’s three scorers — Oshae Brissett, Howard and Battle — loved isolation plays and driving one-on-one. So, GT enacted a simple plan.“Every time (one of their players) drove, he’s seeing bodies,” GT wing Josh Okogie said. “We did a good job kind of stopping the drives. That’s half the battle.”Consider the roster.Syracuse needs a herculean effort and it has two guards. This team had a third until a practice injury sustained Monday sidelined freshman point guard Howard Washington for the year.The other players outside the three scorers have proven unable to carry the offensive load when their teammates are stifled. Geno Thorpe, the grad-transfer scoring guard Syracuse brought in at the beginning of the season who then quit, is currently tied for the Orange’s fourth-highest points per game (6.0) numbers this season.Now, Syracuse waits on forward Matt Moyer to return to his regular minutes after an ankle injury has limited him in the last week. It waits for forward Marek Dolezaj to find a balance between passing and scoring from the high post. It waits to see what it can expect from center Bourama Sidibe on a nightly basis to ease the load from starting big man Paschal Chukwu. It is a team waiting on a lot of things that cannot afford to wait on anything.“They played only about six guys,” Okogie said after the GT game. “It’s hard to win with just six guys, no matter who they are.”In the locker room after Wednesday’s loss, Battle sat in the chair in front of his locker with ice bags taped to both knees. When asked about the situation Syracuse finds itself in, Battle looked up and said, without hesitation, “I love it. It’s going to be tough, but you live for challenges like this, especially when you’re a competitor. I’m going to be ready for it.”Really, you love it?“Yeah,” he said. “Yeah. I really do.”Battle might not love how the season ends if Syracuse loses even one more game it shouldn’t. The Orange is not quite finished, not yet, but they’re way down in the hole.A comeback is possible, because it always is, but climbing out of this seems, at the very least, improbable.Sam Fortier is a senior staff writer for The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at email@example.com or @Sam4TR. Comments Published on February 2, 2018 at 12:12 pm Facebook Twitter Google+
By Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” Toni Bowman of Wellington was the winner of the Grand Prize 2015 Kansas Wheat Festival drawing at the Wellington Area Chamber of Commerce office this morning.Bowman is a nurse at Sumner Regional Medical Center. Wellington Area Chamber of Commerce Annarose White drew the winner of the Grand Prize this morning. Bowman will be a recipient of a $1,115 check, because it was the 115th Kansas Wheat Festival.“Over the phone Toni was so thrilled to win the Grand Prize,” White said. “She has a daughter getting married in Wellington in nine months and will be using some of the cash for that.”White gives a big thanks to the Theurer Auction & Reality and the Kansas Star Casino for sponsoring this part of the Kansas Wheat Festival.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments
Sylvester Provencioby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” Almost 16 months after the incident, Sylvester Provencio, 21, of Caldwell was sentenced for the assault on two older Caldwell men in rural Sumner County.Judge Scott McQuin sentenced Provencio to 31 months with a possible 15 percent reduction for good behavior in prison. He has served eight months in prison already and that will be included in the time served. With a combination of the good behavior clause and the amount of time served, Provencio could be released in 14 months for this particular crime.Keep in mind, Provencio is still facing a felony charge for rape. A jury trial is set for that charge in October.Provencio was convicted for reckless aggravated battery, a level 5 felony, by a Sumner County jury in May.Â He was accused of assaulting Gregory Schneider, 53, and Bryan Nispel, 55 of Caldwell on April 22, 2015, east of Caldwell.The brawl took place in which Provencio and his accomplice Nick Reedy battled Nispel and Schneider after the two older men had stopped to pull a pickup out of the mud.Reedy had pled guilty to reckless aggravated battery in a plea bargain agreement just a day before the Provencio trial was to begin.
The England Golf championship season tees off on Monday when the country’s leading senior women play at Hallamshire, Yorkshire, in search of national glory.The English senior women’s championship brings a strong field to Hallamshire. Suffolk’s Fiona Edmond will defend her title, which she won last year at her first attempt.She’ll be joined in the field by six former champions, plus several winners of the seniors’ other national title.Then there’s the first-timers, excited to be entering a new golfing arena and seeking fresh honours. Last year it was the turn of Edmond (Ipswich), who crowned her return to golf after an absence of over 20 years, when she took the title.This year’s newcomers include Tracey Williamson (Royal Cromer), a multiple Norfolk champion and the mother of England girl international, Amelia.There’s lots of local interest with five Hallamshire players in the field and another 10 competitors from other Yorkshire clubs.They’ll find plenty of inspiration at Hallamshire where the members include Alison Nicholas, the former US Open champion and winning Solheim Cup captain; Matt Fitzpatrick, the four-times European Tour winner and Ryder Cup player – and BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker.The championship starts with 36 holes of stroke play qualifying, on Monday and Tuesday, 14 and 15 May. Then there’s matchplay knockout, played over three days in two flights. The 32 best qualifiers play in the Championship flight for the Wendy Taylor Trophy. The 16 best qualifiers aged 60 and over play for the Ann Howard Trophy. The finals will be played on the afternoon of Friday 18 May. 9 May 2018 Hallamshire set to launch English championship season Tags: Senior, Women
Facebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston County TreasurerThe 2017 deadline for Thurston County residents to pay their first half property taxes is April 30. April 30, is a Sunday this year so Washington State law allows the payment to be made the next business day, which is Monday, May 1, without incurring any late charges.Residents can pay their property taxes through the Thurston County Treasurer’s website. There is no additional charge for the electronic check payment option on-line, but there is a 2.35% fee for a major credit card payment, and a flat $3.95 fee for a VISA debit card payment. Residents can also make payments in person at the Treasurer’s Office or the courthouse parking lot drop box – located at 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Building One, Olympia, 98502. The same fees apply for payments made in person.The Thurston County Treasurer’s Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Payments made by mail must be postmarked by the due date. As required by law penalties and interest will be charged for those who do not have their payments in on time.
Advertisement 8ckcdnNBA Finals | Brooklyn VsaeycmWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eb7t( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 4ndkWould you ever consider trying this?😱42mh1Can your students do this? 🌚7thajRoller skating! Powered by Firework Around 50 artists & footballers to come together for ‘LaLiga Santander Fest’ in bid to beat COVID-19Advertisement Advertisement The event seeks to raise funds for medical supplies, whilst boosting fans’ spirits during this period of quarantine Advertisement The initiative will begin with the purchase of 1 million masks by Santander Bank Eva Gonzalez and Toni Aguilar will host the festival with an appearance from Rafa Nadal Mumbai, 27th March 2020 – Over 50 artists and footballers are poised to come together tomorrow, Saturday, to take part in ‘LaLiga Santander Fest’, a global charity festival organised by LaLiga in partnership with Santander Bank, Universal Music Group and the rest of the league’s sponsors, as well as players, clubs, artists and GTS. The aim of the macro-concert is twofold, with the event having been organised to raise funds for the purchase of medical supplies in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic and to also support fans confined to their homes during the current period of quarantine. Here are the names of the artist who will perform in this special LaLiga Music Fest:Alejandro Sanz, Antonio Carmona, Antonio José, Antonio Orozco, Ainhoa Arteta, Beret, Cami, Danna Paola, David Bisbal, Diogo Piçarra, El Arrebato, José Mercé, Juanes, Juan Magan, Lang Lang, Lola Índigo, Lucas Vidal, Luciano Pereyra, Luis Fonsi, Manuel Carrasco, Miriam Rodríguez, Mon Laferte, Morat, Pablo Alborán, Pablo López, Raphael, Rosario, Sebastián Yatra, Taburete, Tini and Vanesa Martín.Below are the names of the players from LaLigaSantander teams, who wasted no time in signing up to an initiative rolled out by the clubs’ association. ClubPlayerClubPlayerAthletic ClubIker MuniainLevante UDJosé Luis MoralesAtletico MadridKokeRC CeltaHugo MalloAtletico MadridSaulRCD EspanyolJavi LópezCA OsasunaOier SanjurhoFC BarcelonaWu LeiDeportivo AlvaesManu GarciaRCD MallorcaXisco CamposFC BarcelonaGerard PiqueReal BetisJoaquínFC BarcelonaIvan RakiticReal Madrid CFSergio RamosGetafe CFJorge MolinaReal Madrid CFLucas VázquezGetafe CFJaime MataReal SociedadAsier IllarramendiGranada CFVíctor Díaz,Real ValladolidJavi MoyanoSD EibarSergi EnrichSevillaJesús Navas The charity festival, which combines sport and music to lead the fight against COVID-19, has attracted the support of well-known personalities from across both industries, including event hosts Eva Gonzalez and Toni Aguilar and tennis star Rafa Nadal, who will take part in his role as a Santander Bank ambassador. The event, which will see all celebrities participate directly from their homes, promises to offer up no shortage of surprises. ‘LaLiga Santander Fest’ will be beamed out live across the world by Movistar LaLiga, GOL TV and LaLiga international broadcasters. In addition, the concert will be streamed via LaLiga’s social media channels and can be followed on YouTube, Facebook, the social networks of Santander Bank and the league’s global OTT platform, LaLigaSportsTV.Fans in India will be able to watch the festival live and exclusive on Facebook Watch on Saturday 28th March from 22.30 (IST). LaLiga President, Javier Tebas said: “This initiative has really become something special. We’ve got the best artists, clubs and players and the best fans around too. Together we’ll succeed in convincing people about the importance of staying at home at this time, whilst raising money to buy medical supplies, which are in such high demand at times like these. I want to thank Universal Music Group, Santander Bank and all of our sponsors for giving their all to make this LaLiga project a reality.” For his part, Rami Aboukhair, country head for Santander Spain, commented: “It is admirable to see how, in these very complex moments, a supportive spirit has emerged in our society that comforts us all. At Santander Bank, we share this spirit of cooperation and generosity, convinced that we will come out of this process even stronger as a country. That is why, with the help of LaLiga we have created ‘LaLigaSantander Fest’ and together with the players, football and music fans, we want to continue helping our health institutions. We will start this process with the purchase and donation of 1 million masks that will be added to the rest of the sanitary material that will be purchased with the funds raised by this festival”. Meanwhile, Narcís Rebollo, President of Universal Music Group for Spain and Portugal, added: “Universal Music Group and GTS are deeply proud to participate in this wonderful initiative together with LaLiga. ‘LaLigaSantarder Fest’ unites two of the aspects of life that most contribute to people’s leisure and well-being: music and sport. At this time of enormous uncertainty and concern about the terrible impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has been particularly hard in Spain, the ability to bring music and sports to every home is now our priority commitment as leading companies in the entertainment sector.” He added: “This innovative and extraordinary charity event has an economic and social objective, which is to raise as many funds as possible to combat the pandemic, but it also has a more emotional one: to create a bond of union through sport and music among all the people who are confined to their homes right now. This could not have been carried out without the totally selfless support and solidarity of athletes and artists who once again demonstrate that in addition to being true number ones in their professions, they are also great people. We give all our thanks to them. We hope to contribute, from our homes, to making this Saturday evening as full of celebration and joy as possible.” DonationsIn addition to making the quarantine more bearable for those who cannot leave their homes, ‘LaLiga Santander Fest’ seeks to raise funds for the acquisition of medical supplies. In this sense, Santander has already made an initial donation of €500,000. For those users who wish to make donations from anywhere in the world, they can go to www.laliga.com/laligasantanderfest where they will find all the information on how to contribute to the initiative. Donations could be made as of this morning. All funds will be donated, via the Santander Bank’s Foundation, to help alleviate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The majority of the amount raised will go towards the purchase of medical supplies and, in a coordinated effort with the High Sports Council (CSD), will focus on the government’s medical priorities. A smaller sum will be donated to the #SaldremosJuntos (We’ll get through this together) project, a programme launched by Atlético de Madrid’s Saul Ñiguez along with a group of athletes, journalists, influencers and designers who are keen to help the small and medium-sized businesses and self-employed workers in Spain that have been affected by COVID-19. ‘LaLiga Santander Fest’ has received the backing of numerous figures from within the worlds of art and sport, such as Chinese pianist Lang Lang, who signed up to project through RCD Espanyol attacker Wu Lei. Advertisement