Dear Editor,It is a final order coming from the Chairwoman herself that voters are no longer required to physically verify their registration to vote. It is the final order coming from the pen of Madam Justice Claudette Singh herself. In doing so, she is now asserting herself as the Head of GECOM and not the tail.Hitherto this time, she was being led and not doing the legal, right and authoritative thing to lead, or in other words, being in control of the GECOM Secretariat, she was allowing her good name to be used in the nefarious activities of the Government officials there. So, as we say in creole, “The GECOM Chair has finally come to her senses”.There is still much ground to cover as the PNC plays another stratagem in this artful trick of “using” GECOM as a tool for the rigging of elections. This means that Madam Justice Claudette Singh has to be ever vigilant as to what comes out of the Secretariat as a communique.The Opposition officials will do their work, that’s for sure, however, an astute and impartial Chair should be there to enhance that process. We the people need a leader who will stand out and stand up for the people’s cause.Madam Chair, you were placed in that position to safeguard democracy and to oversee the rights of the people. Just do it faithfully and honestly. I rest my case.Respectfully,Neil Adams
The Ministry of the Presidency’s Department of Social Cohesion, Culture, Youth and Sport’s much anticipated Harmony Village 2019 is set to take centre stage in Region 6 (East Berbice-Corentyne).The ethnic races being depictedThe decision to host one of the department’s significant event in the Upper Corentyne district is to promote inclusivity, according to the Department of Public Information (DPI).“Harmony Village is known as another significant event for the Department; and while it is well-received, we recognise its central location is in Georgetown; and so, with that in mind, we needed to move away from Region Four,” Acting Programme Coordinator Natasha Singh-Lewis explained during an interview with the Department of Public Information (DPI).Department of Social Cohesion, Culture, Youth and Sport, Acting Programme Coordinator Natasha Singh-LewisHarmony Village, she added, reflects the unity that is the footprint of our ancestors who have created Guyana, and so this direction taken will allow all to celebrate in keeping with the Department’s vision.While the date of this event is still under wraps, the acting programme coordinator said residents of Region 6 should expect it to be bigger and better than last year. She hopes that they will come out in numbers to support the initiative.Launched in 2017 with just 46 tents, the Harmony Village has grown quite significantly, attracting 103 tents and 98 organisations represented in 2018.According to Singh-Lewis, Harmony Village will also be taken to Region 7 (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) from 2020.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Local boxer, Brayden Sims, is heading to Red Deer to represent Team B.C. at the 2019 Canada Winter Games in Red Deer.Recently, Sims competed at the Alberta Golden Gloves where he came out on top, beating Alberta’s National Champion Kyle Oliver.Sims says he felt nervous fighting some of the best in Canada.- Advertisement -“At Alberta Golden Gloves I fought the former National Champion, Kyle Oliver. I was pretty nervous going into the fight, fighting the best in Canada but it went really well, and I won all three rounds decisively.”This win was Sims third Golden Gloves Title, winning in both Alberta and B.C.With Sims now headed off to the Winter Games in Red Deer, he feels quite prepared both physically and mentally.Advertisement “I feel pretty good in the best in physical shape, I’ve ever been in, and mental shape too. So I’m really ready and that win at Golden Gloves, against the best in Canada, just set the pace even higher.”Sims will be in Red Deer for the 2019 Canada Winter Games from February 16 to the 20.
Tottenham left-back Danny Rose After the sale of Filipe Luis back to Atletico Madrid it appears Chelsea are now keen to land a new left-back to challenge Cesar Azpilicueta.Augsburg’s Rahman Abdul-Baba has been linked with a switch but so far no deal has been done, while there has reportedly been interest in Galatasaray’s Alex Telles.But now, a little out of leftfield – unless Jose Mourinho read our surprise signings feature last month – they’re being linked with Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose.Chelsea fans, though, aren’t happy with the rumours and some may go to extreme lengths to show their disgust if he signs.You can see how fans reacted on Twitter below… 1
Drake Sunday ResultsSinglesFreddie Powell (Drake) def. Tripp Tuff (DePaul) 6-3, 7-6, 7-4DoublesJarvis/Powell (Drake) def. Wassenaar/Tuff (DePaul) 7-6 Final Results DoublesJarvis/Powell (Drake) def. Serra/Grueber (Wichita State) 6-1Latinovic/Richards (Wichita State) def. Hall/Jankovic (Drake) 6-3 MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The Drake University men’s tennis team collected four singles wins and two doubles victories on the second and third days of the Gopher Invitational Saturday afternoon.On Saturday, Finley Hall earned the first of the wins with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Marquette’s Luke Smrek. Reid Jarvis followed that with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Wichita State’s Rafael Serra and Freddie Powell added a 6-1, 6-3 decision over WSU’s Zach Grueber.Jarvis and Powell also combined in doubles action to earn a 6-1 win over Serra and Grueber earlier in the day.Action was limited on Sunday with Freddie Powell earning a 6-3, 6-7, 7-4 win over DePaul’s Tripp Tuff. Powell also teamed up with Reid Jarvis to collect a doubles win against DePaul. The Gopher Invitational wraps up the fall season for the Bulldogs. The team returns to the court Jan. 17 for the start of the dual match season.Gopher InvitationalSaturday Drake ResultsSinglesChase Colton (Wisconsin) def. Reid Jarvis (Drake) 4-6, 6-4, 10-5Gabriel Huber (Wisconsin) def. Freddi Powell (Drake) 1-6, 6-2, 10-5Finley Hall (Drake) def. Luke Smrek (Marquette) 6-4, 6-4Luis Heredia (Marquette) def. Luka Jankovic (Drake) 6-3, 6-3Reid Jarvis (Drake) def. Rafael Serra (Wichita State) 6-2, 6-2Freddie Powell (Drake) def. Zach Grueber (Wichita State) 6-1, 6-3 Print Friendly Version Story Links
Owen Hargreaves could feature for QPR in a pre-season friendly later today.The former England international has been training with Rangers and is expected to be involved in at least one of their two matches in Germany.They play Turkish side Trabzonspor this weekend and are scheduled to take on Augsburg next Saturday.Hargreaves, a free agent after being released by Manchester City, is hoping to save his career following a long battle with a knee complaint.See also: Striker left out of QPR’s squad for visit to GermanyFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) released details of the 2019 Market Facilitation Program (MFP) payments announced by the Trump Administration in May. MPF will provide up to $14.5 billion to producers in up to three tranches starting with a first round of payments this August.Payment rates vary by county from $15 to $150 per acre based on USDA’s calculated damages from tariffs in each individual county affected — most in the $50 to $75 range per acre, according to USDA. That single-county rate will be multiplied by a farm’s total planted acreage for all MFP-eligible crops in aggregate for 2019, not to exceed total 2018 plantings. The county rates for Ohio can be found here. In addition, dairy producers who were in business as of June 1, 2019, will receive a 20-cent per hundredweight payment on production history, and hog producers will receive an $11 per head payment based on the number of live hogs owned on a day selected by the producer between April 1 and May 15, 2019.For cover crops, producers affected by natural disasters who filed prevented planting claims then planted an MFP-eligible cover crop, with the potential to be harvested or for subsequent use as forage, qualify for a $15 per acre payment. Acreage of cover crops must be planted by Aug. 1, 2019 to be considered eligible for MFP payments.Sign-up for farmers with eligible crops begins Monday, July 29, with those who are first to sign up expected to receive an initial payment equal to 50% of what they are eligible for in mid to late August. Second and third payments, each equal to 25% of the total qualifying payment, are slated for November 2019 and January 2020 contingent upon market conditions and trade opportunities. Producers can continue to sign up through Dec. 6, 2019.Farmers who earn 75% or more of their income from agriculture will be eligible for up to the $250,000 MFP payment limit and retroactively eligible for up to the $125,000 payment limit for the 2018 program. MFP payments are limited to a combined $250,000 for non-specialty crops per person or legal entity and a combined $250,000 for hog or dairy farmers per person or legal entity. No applicant can receive more than $500,000 total.In May, President Trump directed Secretary Perdue to craft a relief strategy in line with the estimated impacts of unjustified retaliatory tariffs on U.S. agricultural goods and other trade disruptions. The MFP, Food Purchase and Distribution Program (FPDP), and Agricultural Trade Promotion Program (ATP) will assist agricultural producers while President Trump works to address long-standing market access barriers.“China and other nations have not played by the rules for a long time, and President Trump is the first President to stand up to them and send a clear message that the United States will no longer tolerate unfair trade practices,” Secretary Perdue said. “The details we announced today ensure farmers will not stand alone in facing unjustified retaliatory tariffs while President Trump continues working to solidify better and stronger trade deals around the globe.
From October 30, Odisha’s Berhampur Municipal Corporation will pay ₹200 compensation to its inhabitants whose complaints regarding cleaning of roads, drains, community toilets and garbage lifting are not resolved within 24 hours.Through a public notice, BeMC Commissioner Chakravarti Singh Rathore said the citizens will have to post their complaints on the Swachhta App of the civic body. To enhance the standard of sanitation and cleanliness, the BeMC is also implementing doorstep barcode system for collection of garbage. Holding tax number of houses and other establishments will be converted into barcodes and each barcode will be scanned after collection of garbage.Houses and establishments not having holding tax number have been directed by the BeMC to apply for the same towards barcode generation. Restaurants, apartments and other commercial establishments will have special barcodes that allow garbage collection twice a day. For others, garbage will be collected once every day.On Friday, the BeMC completed a two-day orientation programme for local Women Self Help Groups for septage treatment plant management.
New Delhi, July 11 (PTI) Premier Futsal today said that it does not need the sanction or authorisation of All India Football Federation to start a tournament and it will go ahead with the event on July 15 as scheduled. The AIFF had said that the unsanctioned Premier Futsal will create unnecessary issues while also expressing serious doubts about the survival of the tournament. It has refused to recognised Premier Futsal, saying that it is the sole governing of body of football and futsal in the country. Premier Futsal today responded by saying that it has nothing to do with the AIFF and conducting the tournament is legally permissible. “Premier Futsal is a semi-professional, private league and is in collaboration with Futsal Association of India (FAI), which falls under The Asociacion Mundial de Futsal (AMF). Premier Futsal is obtains technical support from AMF which has been the world governing body for Futsal since 1971,” Premier Futsal said in a release. “Globally, AMF and FIFA co-exist. FAI, a recognized sports body, is the only entity that has been working towards development of Futsal in India — and for 8 years,” it said. “Premier Futsal does not need sanction or authorization of AIFF and does not intend to poach players — there are anyway no registered futsallers there. Conducting a semiprofessional league is fully permissible legally in our democracy and has been validated by our legal experts.” Premier Futsal said the tournament was on track and it will announce the details of team owners and fixtures tomorrow in Chennai ahead of the kick-off on July 15. “We have just completed Launchpad — our talent hunt programme to scout for young Indian futsal players who could play alongside top international futsallers and football legends in the inaugural edition starting July 15,” it said. It also sought to clear the air about former Portugal international Decos pulling out of the tournament, saying it was not due to non-payment of his signing amount. “Just to set the record straight, Deco is unable to participate in the inaugural season of Premier Futsal due to an injury,” it said. Premier Futsal, a franchise-based international futsal (a form of football being played indoors on a smaller field with five players in a side for 40-minute duration) tournament and promoted by an entity formed by Indian entrepreneurs, has attracted some of the worlds best players but has struggled to convince domestic players to jump on its bandwagon. It has Portuguese football legend Luis Figo as president and Indian cricketer Virat Kohli as ambassador. The tournament will be governed by Futsal Association of India (FAI), a body affiliated to the world body Asociacion Mundial de Futsal (AMF). With FIFA, the world governing body for football, and AIFF refusing to recognise Premier Futsal, domestic players risk suspensions if they join the tournament. PTI PDS PDSadvertisement
An arbitration panel in The Hague, Netherlands, issued a ruling Tuesday in a long-running dispute between the Philippines and China over the South China Sea. The Philippines had asked the tribunal to declare China’s claims and actions invalid under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea . Beijing has refused to join the case, rejecting the tribunal’s jurisdiction, and has said it will not accept the decision.A look at how the dispute has unfolded:1947: China demarcates its South China Sea territorial claims with a U-shaped line made up of eleven dashes on a map, covering most of the area. The Communist Party, which took over in 1949, removed the Gulf of Tonkin portion in 1953, erasing two of the dashes to make it a nine-dash line.1994: The 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, under which the Philippines has taken China to arbitration, goes into effect after 60 countries ratify it. The agreement defines territorial waters, continental shelves and exclusive economic zones. The Philippines joined the convention in 1984, and China in 1996. The US has never ratified it.1995: China takes control of disputed Mischief Reef, constructing octagonal huts on stilts that Chinese officials say will serve as shelters for fishermen. The Philippines lodges a protest through the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.1997: Philippine naval ships prevent Chinese boats from approaching Scarborough Shoal, eliciting a protest from China. The uninhabited reef, known as Huangyan Island in China, is 230 kilometers (145 miles) off the Philippines and about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) from China. In ensuing years, the Philippines detains Chinese fishermen numerous times for alleged illegal fishing in the area.advertisement2009: China submits its nine-dash line map to the United Nations, stating it “has indisputable sovereignty over the islands in the South China Sea and the adjacent waters.” The submission came in response to applications by Vietnam and Malaysia for recognition of extended continental shelves, which would give them resource rights. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia protest the Chinese claim.2011: The Philippines files a diplomatic protest after a chartered ship searching for oil and gas and in Reed Bank near the Spratly Islands complained of being harassed by two Chinese patrol boats, forcing it to change course.2012: China takes effective control of Scarborough Shoal after a tense standoff between Chinese coast guard ships and a Philippine naval vessel that had stopped a Chinese fishing boat to inspect it.2013: The Philippines brings its dispute with China to the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, angering Beijing. A five-member panel of international legal experts is appointed in June to hear the case.2014: The Philippine government summons China’s top envoy in Manila in February to protest what it said was the firing of a water cannon by a Chinese government vessel to drive away Filipino fishermen from Scarborough Shoal. China ignores the protest and calls its sovereignty there “indisputable.”China issues a position paper in December arguing that the panel does not have jurisdiction over the case, because it concerns issues of sovereignty and boundary definition, which are not covered by the UN convention, and that the Philippines and China had agreed to settle their dispute only through negotiation.2015: The arbitration panel in The Hague rules in October that it has jurisdiction over at least seven of the 15 claims raised by the Philippines. A hearing on the merits of the claims is held in November. China does not participate.July 12, 2016: The Permanent Court of Arbitration rules that China has no legal basis for claiming much of the South China Sea and had aggravated the regional dispute with its land reclamation and construction of artificial islands that destroyed coral reefs and the natural condition of the disputed areas. The Philippines, which sought the arbitration ruling, welcomed the decision, and China rejected it outright.